Blastrobots is an isometric, robot-slaying, modern homage to old-school arcade games. Blastrobots features multiple weapons, unique enemies, and an innovative revive system. Blast your way through hordes of enemies by yourself or enter the fray with up to three other people in same-screen multiplayer action. Combine weapons to unleash devastating combo-shots, assist your friends when they go down in battle, and battle across a space station teeming with enemies.
Production: August 2012 – December 2012
- Manage artists hours and tasks
- Research UDK and relay information to artists
- Created HUD and Menu graphics
- Created some Menu functionality with Actionscrip
- Created “Player HUD” Material Shader
- Created “Napalm” Weapon effect
- Created “Spread” Weapon effect
- Created “Force Field” Material Shader
- Created “Teleport” Material Shader
- Created “Glass” Material Shader
- Created modular trim pieces
- Composed music
As a team, our goal was to make a simple and fun game within a 5 month time-frame. Most of my decisions as Lead Artist revolved around utilizing the tools featured in UDK to open up time and resources and keeping the art team productive and motivated. I did this by thoroughly researching and understanding the UDK materials editor and having the artists work mainly on things they were passionate about.
My focus on efficiency proved very useful – halfway through production Navin Supphapolsiri had his hours severely reduced due to his responsibilities as a Producer. Our highly motivated art team picked up portions of his workload, and my research meant we saved around 50 hours of work by using the UDK materials editor.